[MCR] Northern Selkirk Mountains, Revelstoke

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jan 20 23:25:07 EST 2014

Hello ski friends

Interestingly we still hear about areas with a marginal snowpack. Something that is difficult to imagine after skiing week after week in the Northern Selkirk Mountains, 45 km northeast of Revelstoke. Today we measured, at tree-line, a strongly settled snowpack of 250cm to 280cm. All suspected weak layers are strongly bonding and while skiing no weaknesses have been observed. Test profiles show a strong snowpack with hard shear results at the January 7th surface hoar only. All other known persistent weak layers have not reacted to testing for the past few days. In the alpine we also have observed an incredibly strong snowpack, 380cm to 450cm well settled snowpack. Several test profiles over the past days have shown hard and no shear results on the January 7th surface hoar layer, down 70cm to 80cm and no clean shear results on the deeper persistent layers.

It is good to know that the snowpack in this area is at the time strong and big. The only concern we have are crevasses. This concern is the result of the hot and dry summer, the fast moving glacial ice during the summer months, pulling crevasses apart and making them much wider than what is usual. With the large snowpack the majority of the crevasses are filled in or have strong bridges. Still, there are crevasses that are wide open and have to be detoured.

Overall, skiing in the northern Selkirk Mountains is fantastic. Today I enjoyed together with my ski guests an absolute 5 Star day in the alpine, skiing large terrain and fun alpine peaks and ridges. Another truly inspiring day ……

Enjoy the great winter and its snow

Ruedi Beglinger
ACMG / IFMGA Mountain Guide

Selkirk Mountain Experience