[MCR] Mystery Creek, South Coast Mountains

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jan 27 15:12:58 EST 2014

I spent the last three days in the Mystery Creek Area just S of Mt. Curry.
Air temperatures reached as high as 10c during the afternoons at 2000m.
Solar aspects in the alpine where corn after a couple of hours of sun. It
was like a little bit of spring! N aspects in the alpine where a little
crunchy, but there was good faceted/surface hoar surface skiing on sheltered
true N aspects at tree line.

On the 24th we had an avalanche cycle that effected the S solar aspects in
the alpine. The snow warmed and went isothermal to ground in some shallow
locations. We saw point releases to Size 2.5, with a few that removed all
the winters snow. Only one created a step down fracture that barely
propagated beyond the point release width. N aspects stayed cool and icy.
The 25th and 26th saw limited new avalanche activity.

At 1820m the hight of snow was 125cm. In glaciated areas 2000-2500m the
average height was 200cm. Many crevasses where clearly visible. Some have
very saggy bridges.

Creeks at tree line and higher are generally filled over but still
noticeable. Hitting hidden rocks was a very noticeable hazard. All of us got
some ski base damage!

Dave Sarkany

acmg_ski_

ACMG Ski Guide - Association of Canadian Mountain Guides