[MCR] Lake O'Hara Update

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Jul 8 21:10:28 EDT 2014

Hi,
The Thompson Rivers University Guide Training Alpine course spent the day in the Lake O'Hara area on Mount Victoria and Mount Lefroy today. Due to the clear skies we had expected similar conditions to what Larry Stanier predicted in his previous post but found little to no freeze on all snow slopes we encountered.

There was a very thin breakable crust over wet, loose snow that was over 100cm deep in places. With the very warm daytime temperatures, it only took a few minutes of direct sunlight to turn the entire snowpack to slush.

With these temperatures it is difficult to predict when there will be a good freeze and as Larry mentioned, very early starts and a willingness to turn around may provide some great alpine climbing conditions.

Marc Piché

403-678-7350