[MCR] Cascade Mountains Mt. Rexford and Washington Pass

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Jul 8 22:15:23 EDT 2014

Looking at the east side of SlesseEarly Winter Spire South, and Liberty Bell in the background

Early winter spires from the East

Hi all,
Here are some mountain condition reports for the Cascades during recent trips in the Northern Cascades  (Mt. Rexford and Washington Pass.)  The snowpack is nicely settled, sun-cups are developing, generally great travelling conditions lasting all day.  We found dry rock dry  with lingering snow-patches on N aspect ledges. Although the highest peaks in the Cascades received a shot new snow last week, (20-30cm?),  I'll bet that’s hard to distinguish now (except maybe on the highest north Aspects.)

Looking at Slesse from Mt Rexford you can see lingering early season snow and signs of avalanche activity.  There was lots of snow in the Cascades this winter,  the north side Slesse will have it’s characteristic summertime rock-slab snow avalanche hazard for some time.

The road to Rexford trailhead was passable, but the last 2km is rough if you don’t have a 4 wheel drive.  Good approach and descent conditions for many alpine objectives going into the next week of high pressure.  No alpine bugs present,…. as of yesterday!

Paul Berntsen
ACMG Mtn. Guide