[MCR] Mt Victoria, July 15th, 2014

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Jul 15 19:55:10 EDT 2014

Surprisingly good conditions, despite the soft snow on Victoria S ridge today.  It has dried out quite a bit and there is still almost no bare ice. Even with the moist to wet snow I felt that i could avoid any over cooked avalanche terrain on the south ridge by staying on the rock.

The descent to the Huber Glacier is in excellent shape as long as you are there while it is still cool. Currently almost no visible ‘schrund but as with everything else, it is changing fast.

Abbott pass gully is in poor shape down low but improves as you get higher. Still not a place to be in the midday heat. We left the lake at 6:30 pm on a grey evening and that felt reasonable.

Larry Stanier
ACMG Mountain Guide