[MCR] Conrad Group- Purcells

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jul 21 13:18:03 EDT 2014

Hello,

Just back from a fun week with Brad Harrison's Mountain Camp, which was
located this year in the Conrad Group, NW of the Bugaboos. From a fly-in
basecamp in upper East Creek (073217) we managed to climb several peaks in
the area including Mt Conrad, MacCarthy and at least five other unnamed
peaks.

Overall, the travel conditions were great, with good snow coverage on the
glaciers and well consolidated snow up high. With hot weather and minimal
overnight freeze, there was rapid snow melt at all elevations. Each day the
approaches became more difficult as the low level snow patches melted and
rough bedrock/boulders became exposed. The snow level rose to to roughly
2400m through the week.

There was a good variety of climbing, at all levels, on the these peaks.
Most of the routes included mixed terrain, with some steep snow, scrambling
and 4th-5th class rock. No crampons were used.

There was one size 2 cornice/slab release, mid-week, on the east face of Mt.
Conrad. Otherwise we observed stable rock/snow conditions.
Views of the Bugaboos from the NW were spectacular, despite the smoky haze
in the air.

Helen Sovdat, Mountain Guide

Cyril Shokoples, Mountain Guide

Dean Flick, Apprentice Rock Guide