[MCR] Coast range- Tantalus

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jun 2 17:12:16 EDT 2014

Just in from 3 days climbing in the Tantalus. Good conditions for a very short early morning window, especially short on east aspects. We were on top of Dione at 5:30 am and felt we needed to get off the East face fast as it was already starting to lose strength in the first sun. Decided not to climb Tantalus after that as it is still sporting some big snow features on the normal route from Dione. North aspects down to about 2000m still felt kinda wintry, just a crust overnight and unconsolidated snow underneath.

Good snow cover on Serratus and Alpha. Decent corn skiing below the Haberl hut in both directions if your timing is right. Hut is in good shape but when we left we couldn't re-open the lock with the combo. We will notify the ACC but ask for a key in the short term.

Larry Stanier
Mountain Guide
laristan at telus.net