[MCR] Morro Peak and Eastern Slopes of Jasper.

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Jun 14 10:03:15 EDT 2014

Went out for a stroll yesterday between Thunder Storms.

I scrambled up a North Westerly rib on Mt Morro, one that splits the
peak from a sub ridge to the east, the one that descends to the cold
sulfur springs parking area.

This trail heads left immediately once you leave the highway, go up
100 metres and gain the bench. Do not follow the Overlander trail as
many people do.

Higher up on the rib you are forced into a steep gully, hand railing
under a large rock band on your right.. Sporadic game trails are
evident. This leads to a junction (break in the cliff band) where a
descending trail from the summit bears left and east.
Follow this trail to the right and back up, which leads to the summit
of Mt Morro. Some flagging can be found along the way.

I followed the normal trail down, then cut left to the older trail
which comes close to Morro Bluffs. A bit of exposure here where the
trail bears right and descends to the Overlander trail junction.
This is a fun option on a popular local Jasper Peak.

The peaks to the east are drying off quite nicely, with good
conditions on Esplanade, Gargoyle, Cinqfoil and Miette.
There has been little rain in the Jasper area this spring, water
levels are still low but we are heading into the June rainy season.

Peter Amann
Mountain Guide

Peter Amann
www.incentre.net/pamann/