[MCR] Louise Falls

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Mar 20 18:50:26 EDT 2014

Had yet another trip to Lake Louise Falls today.
The sun only made a brief appearance during our visit around 11:30.

The storm didn't hit with as much impact as forecasted. However, we broke trail up to the base of the falls about 10 cm HST (new storm snow). I believe the area received just short of 10cm with a bit of lite drifting. None the less, we did hear the lake Louise patrol bombing runs. No avalanches were observed by our team.

The ice Is in really good shape, for this time of year, with only the usual top out that is starting to look white, it's aerated and littered with holes.

Currently the large dagger on the right of the main column can be describes as about 3+ metric tones of wet chandlery ice, unattached and barely laminated to the top.

The area above the the main crux column (Accessed from the right cave ) has a bunch of small rocks buried in snow. Currently the rocks and soil that came from the dry area above the top out, are currently a simple annoyance for your pics, if you happen to strike them.
My thought, is that once the sun comes out and starts melting the snow, rocks will start falling and add to the overhead hazard that usually increases as the warmth rises on this route.

The area above the top out:
We avoided the usual top out because of the unusual amount of snow above the line and large snow mushrooms. We climbed a line out right today on great ice and it lined up perfectly with the new bolted anchor at the top. The zinc plated bolts and stainless hangers are accompanied by a cord and quick link, all found on the wall behind the large tree that is now devoid of "rap tat".

The walk off:
The bulk of the snow in the main lower gully is not going anywhere...however there is a deep and steeper than usual pocket of snow above the gully. You can look at it or poke into it before the final descent into the gully.

The pocket is now topped off by various recent squalls and storm cycles of snow sitting above various crusts. Take care using the descent as the temperatures rise!
Today remained reasonably cold, a low of -6 with a high of -2 little to no sun affect to report as of our departure from the parking lot at 13:30.

It's the time of year to start getting up real early or relatively early and end early.

Cheers
patrick delaney
ACMG Alpine Guide
Yamnuska Mountain Adventures