[MCR] Conditions in the Valhalla mountains, South Columbias

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Mar 20 11:11:17 EDT 2014

Just finishing guiding a ski touring week at Ice Creek Lodge, SE of Nakusp in the Valhalla mountain range. The last week of winter brought good conditions to this part of the South Columbias.
Over the week, a variety of storms delivered 65cm of new snow with generally cool temperatures. This storm snow settled to 45cm, overlies a variety of snow surfaces that were buried March 14th, and is bonding well. A freezing rain layer formed mid-storm on the 16th but was quickly covered by new snow.

The weak layer formed by the extended mid-winter drought is down 100- 140cm, and produced hard sudden planar snowpack test results in some areas, and no results in others. We didn't experience any whumphs or settlements, even in shallow alpine areas (moraines and windswept ridges). The upper snowpack is well settled.

A wind event from the northwest on March 18th created softslabs on lee and crossloaded Alpine features, and we observed several natural slab avalanches to size 2 on the 18th and 19th. 20cm of new snow on March 20th came with cold temps (-12) and moderate to strong westerly winds. We observed only loose dry avalanches size 1-1.5. Cornices are growing and looked fragile.

We managed our risks while skiing avalanche terrain by avoiding steep start zones, keeping our loads light on slopes, and choosing our regrouping areas carefully. Although the drought layer was inactive this week, it wouldn't be a surprise to see avalances failing at this interface later this spring with warming or another big storm.

Ramin Sherkat SG

Judson Wright ASG