[MCR] Mt. Sparrowhawk / Spray Lakes - Kananaskis

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed May 14 13:02:42 EDT 2014

Great spring skiing conditions on Mt. Sparrowhawk yesterday. -2C at the
trailhead at 7AM (with +4C in Canmore at 6AM) made for a good overnight
refreeze and we only carried our skis for the first 10 min along the summer
trail until we found continuous snow coverage in the forest.

In spite of the warm temperatures in town over the last few days, the 10 -
15 cm of new snow from last Saturday had not entirely gone through the
melt-refreeze cycle in the higher elevations yet, which made for some
breakable crust higher up on the predominantly western aspects of the route.
Below 2700m the skiing was excellent until about 1850m at which elevation we
started to sink into the isothermal snow in the thinner spots in the woods.

We didn't have any avalanche concerns except on the steep, thinly covered,
southern aspect summit slope, where the recent new snow was starting to get
moist enough to react as small, slow moving loose snow avalanches which
could be of consequence given the steepness and exposure of that slope.

Surprising to me was how good the snow coverage still is in the Spray Lakes
area (see attached shot skiing by Reed's Pinnacle). Looks promising for
those few still out on skis this time of year!

Cheers,

Jorg Wilz

Mountain Guide (ACMG / VDBS / IFMGA)

OnTop ltd.