[MCR] Mt Whymper

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed May 14 16:33:37 EDT 2014

Skied a steepish NNE facing glacier off Mt Whymper this morning. Excellent travel from the Stanley Glacier trailhead(once you got onto the snow) right to ridge tops and good skiing right back to the highway. Ski crampons and boot crampons for peace of mind.

BIG wet sloughs starting running about 11am on the SE faces. Very impressive and I assume that this avalanche cycle would follow the sun around till late in the day. We left the car about 8 and got back around 12:30. In hindsight I would leave an hour or two earlier just to beat the heat.

This may be old news soon given the weekend forecast but it could still be a good idea to ski tomorrow if things freeze and the rain holds off.

BIG recent grizzly tracks in the valley above the Hwy 93S divide.

Larry Stanier
ACMG Mountain Guide