[MCR] Rockies - Icefields

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Nov 9 18:03:12 EST 2014

I guided a wintery ascent today of Boundary Peak via the Little Athabasca Glacier on an Intro to Mountaineering Course for Mountain Skills Academy.

At 0730h in the parking lot this morning there was 1cm new snow at a temperature of -2C; 5cm upon our return and -8C at 1530h.

The ice slope at the toe of the glacier had just enough supportive snow to provide confident boot steps. Above we found variable snow depth averaging 50cm but over 1m in some zones. We found supportive bridges over crevasses along our route to the N couloir. We found a supportive snow pack with up to 15cm of new snow in the couloir.

We descended snow covered scree and talus down the normal north slopes descent.

Brent Peters
Alpine Guide

Looking down at A2 and the Boundary Glacier from Boundary Peak.