[MCR] Rogers Pass - Connaught Ck. Nov.11-12/2014

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Nov 12 22:16:47 EST 2014

Hey Gang,

Since I am not the only crazy person out there these days - I figured I
should post some observations.

I spent the last 2 days on the sunny side of Connaught Ck.(Ursus Minor, 8812
bowl, East slope of Bruins Pass) so these observations are related to this
area only (not sure what is going on up the Asulkan).

Avalanches:

No new avalanches observed since the end of the storm - but near the end of
this weekend's storm several largish slabs failed, indicating that
structurally the snowpack has the potential for serious avalanches (8812 Pk.
S aspect, Cheops W. Aspect, Mt. Smart N Aspect- too glacier ice). The places
I figured this was most likely (and therefore avoided), was largish 35+
degree tensioned (convex shaped) slopes that had been stiffened/loaded by
the recent NE winds.

Snowpack:

Valley bottom is absolutely desperate 15-20cms gradually increasing above
1900m. to 60-100cms - there is approximately 40cms of storm snow overlying
the Nov.9th raincrust (which goes at least as high as 2500m) - below this
crust the snowpack is still either wet or moist. The clear skies have also
been accompanied by low humidity - this is Arctic air after all ;-) - so
Surface hoar formation on the surface, has been limited for the most part,
to 3mm spiky looking crystals (a little larger near water sources) - the
upper 40cms of the snowpack, unless effected by winds, is loose and
unconsolidated - the crust is totally supportive. In the Alpine there was
significant redistribution of the snow form the NE winds at the end of the
system - so not your typical wind direction (usually SW).

Trail Conditions:

Below 1900m. all bets are off - there is snow on the trail so you can skin
from the parking lot  - expect to encounter rocks and open creeks during
your walk up the valley. On the way down it is totally sporty, and wearing a
helmet and walking short sections will go a long way to reducing your risks
- but trust me it is full on. If you like your skis I would not ski down
this trail!

If you are trying to get up to Ursus Minor Bowl area via General Hospital -
be prepared for some rather acrobatic ski touring and Alder bashing (having
a hand saw and ski crampons would be handy!).

Ski Quality:

Okay just in case you think I am nuts to go out 2 days in a row - the ski
quality above 2000m. is pretty darn good - snowpack gets even deeper above
2400m.

Outlook:

Not good! no snow and cold temps will not do this snowpack any favors!  Keep
in mind that the next time we receive a significant snowfall that things
will change.

Cheers,

Scott Davis