[MCR] Bugaboo Conditions

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Sep 9 10:05:32 EDT 2014

Just back from the Bugaboos last night. While things may have changed since last nights storm here is the skinny at the time of our departure on the morning of the 8th. All sun exposed routes in the Crescent Basin were dry and in good shape. Some snow was lingering on the ridge crests which made it a bit slippy in rock shoes but otherwise not a problem. Marmolata, Bugaboo NE Ridge out of condition however the Kain Route was dry. Pigeon had some snow on it and crampons would be useful to climb the final north facing slopes to the summit. The west side of Snowpatch had some large snow patches near the bases of the routes however most routes were dry (enough) with the exception of the Kraus McCarthy. Views from the Pigeon Feathers showed routes that were visible in the the East Creek basin dry, the north side of the Howsers was plastered and the ice routes were beginning to form but a long way from climbable. Last weeks storm snow was well settled on solar aspects. We encountered up to 35cm of old storm snow on the northerly facing Vowel Glacier which was still 4 finger and fist hardness and beginning to recrystallize into small facets...something to watch with subsequent snowfalls. Bugaboo/Snowpatch col looked grim and uninviting so we avoided it altogether.

Cheers!

James Blench UIAGM/IFMGA