[MCR] Rockies - Lake Louise and Yoho snow amounts - September 9th, 2014

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Sep 9 18:06:47 EDT 2014

I've had a few folks asking about snow amounts out west. It seems like
we've stayed a bit drier than on the east side.

West of the Divide:
I was in the Yoho valley this morning and there was only a dusting at
treeline, mostly not sticking to the ground and melting away on solar
aspects. I had some periods of good visibility to higher elevations (ie.
Mt. Stephen and the peaks along the Wapta), and there seemed to be only a
few centimetres up high as well.

Lake Louise and North:
We had maybe a centimetre in Lake Louise this morning which has since
melted back. It looks snowier on the peaks in the Lake Louise group at
higher elevations. Probably 5-10 cms would be my guess. I didn't drive
north of Lake Louise, but heard from a co-worker that snow amounts were
similar to the Lake Louise group as you drove north.

Hope this helps with your planning.

Ian Jackson
Visitor Safety Technician | Technicien Sécurité de Visiteurs
Banff, Yoho, Kootenay National Parks | Parcs Natiounaux Banff, Yoho,
Kootenay
Parks Canada | Parcs Canada
www.parksmountainsafety.ca | www.parcsecuritemontagne.ca

Conserve, Restore and Connect with Nature | Conserver, restaurer et se
rapprocher de la nature