[MCR] Mt Fay, Rockies, September 16, 2014

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Sep 17 01:26:07 EDT 2014

We climbed Mt Fay via the Perren Route and the Central Ice Face (aka Bulge)
today. Conditions were excellent throughout. There is about 30cm of well
settled snow on the Fay Glacier hiding a few small crevasses. The
bergschrund is well covered by recent debris and provides easy access on
snow to the face. We climbed the face with a mix of snow steps and ice
climbing using ice anchors throughout. Descent was via the ascent route on
good V-threads. Some cornices present above the route but with the cool
temps this was a minor concern today.

Some moist snow and minor surface sluffing on solar aspects with afternoon
warming was observed. Otherwise no significant avalanche hazard was present
in the area.
--
Conrad Janzen
ACMG / IFMGA Mountain Guide