[MCR] Rockies - Mt Hector - April 9th

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Apr 10 20:22:47 EDT 2015

We climbed and skied Mt Hector on April 9th as well as 6 other groups for a total of 22 people on the mountain and there was two more cars in the parking lot this morning (April 10th). There was at least 10 people prior to our ascent since the last snow fall. That would make approximately close to 40 tracks on the mountain since the snowfall of April 4-5th. It is a big mountains but tracks are pushing very close if not directly over to large crevasses.

Approach
The creek was well filled in and travelled fast until the canyon.
Some groups chose to ski and bootpack the canyon, some used boot crampons. There are spots where these is only 20cm of snow over running water and there are visible holes.
Travel was possible but thin on skis up to the top of the steep slopes before the glacier.
The cornices on the North West ridge of Hector are still hanging present and no chunks have fallen in the last week.
There is a rough average of 170cm of snow on the glacier with areas of 3m+ and spots of 60cms over the ice.
I have attached photos looking up and down the glacier.

Descent
Ski quality was excellent with 20-30cm of powder snow from the summit ridge to the end of the glacier and then mix of powder and corn skiing to the canyon.
Lots of freshly covered rocks in steep slopes below the glacier.
The canyon was managed in a variety of ways, some sideslipped it, some down climbed but for the adventurous it is still possible to ski it.
The creek exit was supportive to the road and travelled well.

Weather
Very light westerly winds and below freezing temperatures to 2200m.
Todays gusting Strong westerly winds will have changed the snow quality in exposed areas.

Pictures:
Looking up the North Glacier

Looking down the North Glacier

Philippe Gautier