[MCR] Conditions - Mount Fay & The Neil Colgan Hut Area

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Aug 5 14:18:58 EDT 2015

Hi everyone,

I spent the past few days at the Neil Colgan Hut with two guests on a 3 Day
Cloud Nine Guides Mount Fay & Neil Colgan Hut Program.  We used the Perren
route for access and climbed the West Ridge of Mt. Fay on Sunday and
scrambled up Bowlen on Monday morning before descending.

The two short ice faces used to access the West Ridge of Fay still have a
couple good snow bridges over the bergrschrund.  With an early start we
avoided any rockfall on the ice pitches.  In order to avoid this same
hazard we descended via the SW face in the late morning.  Despite the usual
scrappy scree, it felt less threatening than the north side descent because
of less sun exposure at that time in the morning and generally less steep
terrain.

The other north face routes on Fay seem to have changed little since the
last report on them.

Generally, lots of rockfall was observed by mid/late morning with the warm
temps and mild overnight freezes.

*Pierre Hungr*
IFMGA/UIAGM Mountain Guide
Cloud Nine Guides
--

Thinking Winter? *Cat Ski Touring *Weekends Available Now:
www.cloudnineguides.com/the-cats-meow

<http://www.cloudnineguides.com>