[MCR] Rockies, Cascade Falls, Healy Creek slidepaths, Mt Jimmy Junior

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Dec 21 09:06:57 EST 2015

I guided an ascent of Cascade Falls on Friday, December 18th. The route was
sporting several large open and wet holes earlier in the week but these
froze over nicely with the colder temperatures through the week. The climb
was in good shape and we opted to walk off (and climb the last half
ropelength, which was good climbing) rather than rappel down through the 11
people below us. The walk off is in good shape, mostly due to traffic from
Rogan's Gully.

Saturday, December 19th I guided a ski tour to the Healy Creek slidepaths.
We had a clean planar shear down 35 centimeters in the moderate range (18)
of our compression test on a southsouthwest facing slope of 30 degrees at
2100 metres. The slab failed on the Dec 3rd layer which was a weakening sun
crust on this exposure. We chose a less steep slope to ski and skied one
and two at a time (our group was 5). The ski quality was good.

Sunday December 20th our group of 5 attempted an ascent of Mt Jimmy Junior.
We found no results on our compression tests at 2350 metres. Higher,
several hand shears showed bonded snow at the surface. We ran out of
visibility, and time, at 2500 metres. Lots of evidence of southwest winds
and small surface slabs 5-10 cms deep cracking away from our skis every
twenty steps or so. We skied down through older tracks that had filled in
and the ski quality was fine and fun. Having done this tour several times
in the spring, as the guidebook suggests, I doubt that there will be many
more winter days in the future that I'd feel good about going there. The
low hazard and great travel we experienced yesterday just hasn't been the
norm for December in the Rockies as of late.

Yamnuska Mountain Adventures
www.yamnuska.com