[MCR] Selkirk Mountains - Rogers Pass - Dec.29-2015

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Dec 30 02:13:01 EST 2015

Amazing day in Rogers Pass today!

First full day of sunshine as a persistent looking ridge builds in.

I observed several small (size 1-1.5) loose dry avalanches that were
triggered by the sun on steep rocky solar aspects in the afternoon - also
lots of roller balls-tree bombs as the trees started to shed the recent
storm snow. I would keep my eyes out for overhead solar over the next few
days as things shed after this recent storm cycle.

Other than that it appears that there is minimal wind effect, though I noted
some downflow (katabatic)  wind effect in an Alpine bowl, that mostly just
added some texture to the surface - this may increase over the next few days
as this ridge of high pressure takes hold.

Tracksetting is reasonable with @30cms ski penetration - however the
unconsolidated (faceted) surface snow makes for frustrating tracksetting on
steeper side hills (I am taking my ski crampons tomorrow!).

I am sure things will get skied up pretty quickly - but for now it looks
like there are a few turns left to be had.

Lots of cars in the parking lots - but somehow I did not see anybody all day
;-) !

Merry new year to all,

Scott Davis

ACMG-IFMGA Mountain Guide