[MCR] Selkirks- Rogers Pass, Asulkan, Saphire Col Feb 3-4th

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Feb 5 16:12:21 EST 2015

Chad Rigby & I did an overnight trip to Sapphire Col Feb 3-4th.  On Feb
3rd the valley bottom temps were 0 degrees at the base of the Mouse Trap
(1500m) and there was 30cm of storm snow over the Jan 30 rain crust.  At
this elevation in the drainage we found 8-10mm surface hoar on the rain
crust.  Beyond the Mouse Trap in "the Ravens" area at approximately 1900m
(west aspect) there was a size 2 natural avalanche 30-40cm deep 35m wide
which I suspect ran on surface hoar.

  We did a number of quick checks for the surface hoar and we did not see
it in the open treeline and alpine areas between the Mouse Trap and
Sapphire col.  The buried rain crust was only 1cm thick at 2050m and
became a hard wind layer at higher elevations, with 40cm plus of low
density storm snow on top making for deep trail breaking.

  There was very little wind effect in this area and the storm snow had
not settled into a slab yet.  I suspect this will change rapidly with the
current snowfall and forecasted rise in temps.

As we left the Asulkan drainage we noticed a new slab avalanche which I
suspect was a skier accidental down 30cm, 20m wide in a steep creek in the
"Mushroom people" area.  Again I think this was on a pocket of surface
hoar on the rain crust.

Have a great winter

Kirsten

Kirsten Knechtel