[MCR] Rockies- Mt. Carnarvon

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Jun 16 18:59:54 EDT 2015

Hello,

We scrambled up Carnarvon yesterday. The normal route follows the south
ridge, which looked very snowy from the road. We found that the ridge was
mostly dry with some well settled snow patches along the way. We used an ice
axe, but you can walk around most of the steep snow patches. On the final
steep step, the gullies were snow free, but looked very scrappy. Looking
around to the right side we found some solid steps on 4th class rock that
brought us up to the main ridge.

The approach trail to Hamilton lake was in good condition and clear of snow.
There was a bit of windfall to high-step over.

It was interesting to see that the flower season is already over on some
sunny slopes at treeline. The glacier lilies are withering and the western
anemone has gone to seed.

Helen Sovdat