[MCR] Rockies: Wapta - Bow Lake to Peyto Lake June 15-17, 2015

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Jun 18 14:25:48 EDT 2015

I guided four clients of www.ontopmountaineering.com/
<http://www.ontopmountaineering.com/>   on a 3 day glacier adventure on the
Wapta Icefield in Banff National Park, June 15-17, 2015.  We started at Bow
Lake, and stayed at Bow Hut the night of June 15th.  A big thanks to the
Alpine Club of Canada for the clean-up and interior painting at Bow Hut.
The hut is in good condition for the upcoming mountaineering season.

We traversed on the glacier to Peyto Hut on June 16th.  There was a good
overnight freeze and roped travel conditions that day were very good on firm
snow and less than ankle deep steps all the way to Peyto Hut.  We didn't
need crampons that day, the glacier was totally snow covered.

We left Peyto Hut on the morning of June 17th, with a light freeze.  We had
a few punchy areas of snow on the descent of the Peyto Glacier, but around
2300m the snow thinned to bare ice and we had good travel with crampons down
to the edge of the glacier.  The bridge is still out for the creek crossing
at the valley bottom, so we walked along the north bank of the creek looking
for a spot to cross.  We found a log across the creek, which appears to be
one of the stringers from the bridge that washed out.  I set up a hand line
and we were able to cross the creek easily, with dry feet!  We then walked
across the gravel flats to meet up with the trail on the south side of the
creek, and out to the Bow Summit parking lot.  I am not sure if that log
will survive the spring runoff, but it would be nice if it did.

Please see a photo with arrows in my FaceBook album showing the location of
the log and the trail, along with photos of the log across the creek.  There
are also photos showing the snow line on the glacier and the snow coverage
where we travelled.  Let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.746910752087016.1073741849.3713814
89639946
<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.746910752087016.1073741849.371381
489639946&type=3> &type=3