[MCR] Wapta Traverse

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Mar 23 12:55:18 EDT 2015

Further to Grant’s report of Mar 22, we exited the Traverse via Sherbrooke lake yesterday afternoon, after having started at Peyto Hut on Mar 16.  Some more observations:

Coverage on the Northern section was similar to the South, with most areas on the glaciers 220cm or less; the bottom third was weaker - soft facets, possibly from the early season cold snap.  We chose to use the rope more than usual, especially when visibility was poor.

Through the days of Mar 19-22, continued light snowfall & moderate to strong winds (observed in the Balfour hut region) created isolated windslabs up to 30cm deep on lee features around the moraines.  We did not get good visibility to observe higher start zones, but did notice several instances of heavy spindrift fall.  We did not observe any fresh natural activity, or cornice failure.  Temperatures though out those days were regularly in the -4 to 0 range at hut (2475m) elevation.

Exiting on the 22nd, we had an overnight snowfall of approximately 10cm. We had good travel conditions down to & over Sherbrooke Lake.  The sun was exceptionally strong, even with occasional cloud cover.  Areas that were sheltered from the light West winds had extensive snowballing, but no large natural activity was noted as of 3pm that day.  The creeks are wide open below tree line (good drinking water in the heat!) and provided some excitement as snow bridge crossings were weak and rapidly disappearing.  The luge run, as usual, a sporty and an entertaining way to end the trip.  Helmets are not a bad idea here…

Of note on the route from Balfour hut to the Hi Col, we did observe one party using the upper bench as an approach route to navigating past the sera fall.  I did not chat with them so cannot comment on the decision making involved, but i do suggest that with the reduced snow coverage & crevasses that parallel the travel route on the upper bench, that the lower route (as well described in the current Wapta map; Klassen / 2013) may be the route of choice, especially with current conditions of recent lee loading, poor visibility & warm temps.

wishing everybody a safe & successful traverse season!  Be safe & grin big!

Dave Healey
ACMG Ski Guide

Stephen Senecal
Camp Manager