[MCR] Selkirk Mountains-Rogers Pass

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Mar 25 22:29:01 EDT 2015

Just spent a few days at Asulkan hut. March 23-25.

Conditions are already changing with todays storm. As of this morning these are my observations.

With probing above Asulkan hut 250-120 cm snowpack.
40-60cm storm snow from last week overlies the March 19th weak facet layer.  Although no sudden shears in tested areas there is a striking resembles to a Rocky Mountain snowpack with about 40 cm of weak snow below. Trust in steep slopes especially with over head hazards like cornices is very low.  Added loading from more snow and warm temps will keep my trust low for a while.  With conservative terrain choices we still found good skiing.

 No settlements, no new slab avalanches, some impressive large avalanches in the alpine N-NE aspects about 3 days old and some snow balling on steep solar aspects to size 1.

It was windy, -5 and about 5cm on the ground apon departure.  Skiing held in there until about 1600m(Just above the mouse trap)breakable catchy crust below.

The ski out is rather bumpy, the new snow has helped.

Freezing level was on the rise.

Cheers to your next good turn!

Merrie-Beth Board
ACMG Ski and Aspirant Alpine Guide.