[MCR] Assistant Hiking Guide Course Canmore Sept 8-16

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Sep 16 20:30:16 EDT 2015

We just finished an Assistant Hiking Guide Course in Canmore.

>From Sept 9-12 we did several different day hikes in
Kananaskis Country ranging from Tent Ridge to West Wind Pass. The weather was
mainly clear, temperatures were high with no overnight freeze and winds were
light. The conditions were mostly dry and trails were in good shape. It is a beautiful
time of year with the larches starting to turn yellow. There is currently trail
construction work (The High Rockies Trail) along the east side of highway 742.
This new trail is not on the current map so it can make for confusing trail
finding.

We did a backpacking trip Sept 13-15 around Porcupine Creek
between the Baldy Pass and Wasootch Creek trailheads, camping in the north and
south forks of porcupine Creek. The weather was a mix of rain and snow with the
freezing level dropping to below 1600m on the 14th. The 2-3cm of new
snow was melting quickly with the rising temperatures on the 15th. Most
of the south drainage of Porcupine Creek was dried out so we had to go up to
1760m to find water and a good campsite.

It was a great week overall, although the weather conditions
were difficult at times.

Bjarne Baek

Hiking Guide

Top Rope Climbing Instructor