[MCR] Upper Kananaskis/Three Isle Lake area conditions

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Sep 19 00:57:04 EDT 2015

Just got back from three days in past Upper Kananaskis Lake area. Given the recent rain and snow, the trails were muddy and slippery in places. We hiked up to Three Isle Lake from Forks and ran into persistent snow around 1900m. The trail and stairs up the headwall were slippery in places but manageable.
At Three Isle Lake there was an average of 15cm of dense, well settled snow on the ground, with drifts in isolated places up to calf deep. Despite some sunshine, the snow didn’t seem to be going anywhere fast. If you are headed that way, and planning on staying at There Isle be prepared to camp on the snow. Things got a little crowded at Forks last night with groups who were unprepared for the current conditions.
Up high, looking along the Divide it looked like conditions where similar to the north of us above 2000m. Also, from a distance on the trail on the hike out today, a quick peek into the Aster Lake valley looked very similar to what we saw above 2000m up at Three Isle.

Will Woods HG
Madeleine Martin-Preney AHG, ASG