[MCR] Gimli access, Valhalla Mountain Range

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Sep 22 04:04:56 EDT 2015

Hi all,
Just
 a heads up for those planing on heading out to Gimli this Fall. Sounds
like Interfor from Castlegar is planing to start their road upgrade for harvesting
purposes very soon. See below message from Dave Karassowitsch of
interfor for specific details, looks like the road could be closed for as long as two months.

Sort term pain for long term gain!
David Lussieracmg mountain guidewww.summitmountainguides.com

Yes, we anticipate the road to be closed for the duration of our work, at this point listed as September 21st to November 30th. As I had
 indicated, the contractor will not be starting work until later than the 21st but I am not certain of start date at this time.

Bannock Wall
The
 road itself at the narrow point at the wall will need to be fully
excavated, a new placed rock base created and a GRS wall (Gabian
 basket-type) built to widen the road surface. The first 20 blocks of
the wall will be removed and material excavated out from behind the
wall. Some of this material will be spoiled to resurface the road and
the rest used to compact geotextile support for the
 battered (sloped back) rebuilt wall. We are adding another 45 blocks to
 the main section of the wall (an additional layer on the uphill end)
and drainage for moisture coming in behind the wall. This leaves very
little opportunity to keep the road open through
 this.

Bridges T1-002 and T1-003

We
 are totally pulling both of these bridges as they both have log crib
abutments that will be replaced with lock blocks. The steel
 for T1-002 will be re-used with a new wooden deck but the log stringers
 for T1-003 are junk and will be discarded. A new steel superstructure
will need to be brought up for T1-003 and so the wall needs to be
repaired first.
  DFK

Dave Karassowitsch, RPF
Harvesting Supervisor, Castlegar Division

O: 250-304-6410   C: 250-354-3371

INTERFOR
PO Box 3728, 2705 Arrow Lakes Drive
Castlegar, BC   V1N 3W4