[MCR] Rockies: Vermillion Peak

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Jan 1 22:24:00 EST 2016

We skied on east and west aspects between 1400 and 2600 m on Vermillion Peak today. Of note were the temperatures:

0845, 1400 m, -27
0930, 1700 m, -15
1030, 2000 m, -8
1145, 2300 m, +1
1230, 2600 m, -3
1600, 1400 m, -18

An interesting above freezing layer sandwiched between colder air. If you are in the cold valley the cornices and snowy cliffs high above you may be baking.

We didn’t see any avalanche activity but snow surfaces on the west aspect were moist in the afternoon.

The regular uptrack beside the avalanche path was hard and slippery and felt like 5.9 slab climbing a lot of the time! The regular ski line is moguls. The skiing in the burnt forest to the side is very good but regrowth below 1800 m is still thick with the shallow snowpack we have right now.

Mark Klassen
ACMG-IFMGA Mountain Guide
Alpinism | » Revelstoke Long Weekend <http://alpinism.com/revelstoke-long-weekend/>