[MCR] Mount Field ski ascent, Rockies

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Jan 6 01:03:51 EST 2016

Hi all,

I guided a ski ascent to the main summit of Mount Field today January 5th. We had broken to overcast sky conditions, temperatures ranging from -14.0C to -7.0C and light winds form the southwest. There was a trace of new snow overnight and traveling conditions were excellent with a 10-20 cm ski penetration. There was minor wind effect in the alpine predominantly above 2300m. Ski quality was good above 2300m and excellent below. We saw evidence of previous surface hoar growth to 20mm below treeline tapering to 4mm at 2000m. We measured and average of 150cm of snow at treeline. The upper 40cm was quite faceted and loose but still supportive and skiing well. We saw no new avalanche and no signs of instability. A test profile at 2300m on a northeast aspect showed no significant results. There was a fair amount of traffic in this area over the holidays however, there was plenty of room to ski un-tracked snow all the way back down.

Pretty awesome conditions for early January in the Rockies!

Cheers,

David Lussier

acmg mountain guide

http://summitmountainguides.com/