[MCR] Rockies Avalanche Observations

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Jan 29 20:55:36 EST 2016

Hello Everyone,

I toured with a group today up the S. ridge of Dolomite peak. At treeline I
was feeling and hearing settlements, I chose a conservative up track, on the
way up I remote triggered 1 sz 2 avalanche which was 45 cm deep and failed
on facets, it ran to the top of the run out zone about 100-125m and was 45 m
wide.

On our ski down we skied on the ridge proper and remote triggered 1 sz 1,
which appeared to be on the same layer. Both avalanches were in the
2250-2300m zone.

Of note at 3:30 we witnessed a sz 2 on Bow peak, a bit surprising as there
was no wind or sun effect I would also rule out skier triggered given the
terrain and time of day. Many large natural sluffs and up to sz 2's observed
on all aspects in the storm snow.

Have fun and be cautious out there this weekend!

Jeff Bullock