[PCNJ-news] PCNJ News & Updates - 9/16/05

pridecenter-news at pridecenter.org pridecenter-news at pridecenter.org
Thu Sep 15 20:08:49 EDT 2005

The Pride Center of New Jersey
News & Updates - September 16, 2005

See www.pridecenter.org for lot's more group and
activity information!

See you all at the Pride Center Picnic on Saturday!

1. OUT OF THE BOX - Sept 16
2. YOUTH GROUP - Sept 17
3. CAPITAL RAINBOWFEST - Sept 18
4. PRIDE CENTER GAMES NIGHTS - Sept 20
5. "A Position of Strength" SEMINAR - Sept 22
6. PCNJ HEALTH CLINIC WORKSHOP - Sept 24
7. Herspanic History Celebration - Oct 29
8. Miscellaneous

1. OUT OF THE BOX - Sept 16
The third Friday of September is waiting for us at the
end of this week and that means that
OUT OF THE BOX
the open mic for all types of performance is happening

Friday, September 16th 8:00 - 10:30 pm
at the Pride Center of NJ
--- poetry, songs, music, jokes, rants, raves,
letters, thoughts, concerns, tricks, dances and more
--- bring it, share it, cherish it.
featuring THIS month will be OOTB's hosts!
images for samuraization, pandora's new solo show
(info below) photo credit: Gus Menezes
Pandora Scooter features at OOTB this month, sharing
new and old pieces, and perhaps a snippet from her new
solo show.
and
OOTB's resident Ani/Dar/Jewel Coverband (yes! Stephen
& Mac) will share a few songs this month! Wohoo!
Upcoming Features for 2005 and into 2006 include:
Washington DC's SmartPop singer/songwriter MARA LEVI
Philadelphia's cello jazz blues woman MONICA MCINTYRE
Washington DC's spokenjazzhiphop word fire-breather
TIM'M T. WEST Tuscon, AZ's genre-busting folk artist
NAMOLI BRENNET NYC's anarcho-feminist cabaret/punk/pop
star ATHENA REICH
(dates to be announced)

OUT OF THE BOX
open-mic at the Pride Center of New Jersey
listeners and sharers alike welcome.
held at the PRIDE CENTER OF NEW JERSEY
1048 Livingston Avenue, North Brunswick, NJ 08902
(look for the pink awning'd buildling)
$5 suggested donation/ $3 for students
free low-octane beverages and light gnosh served
info on how this open-mic works.... doors open around
7:45 pm. folks come on by and sign up on the list as
they arrive. every effort is made to make sure
everyone who signs up will be given time up on the mic
to share. priority is given to those who get there
earlier, but if there's room, we'll fit everyone in,
if possible. count on having around 6 minutes if
there are lots of folks (15 or more), and up to 8 if
there aren't. if you have a piece that is more than 6
minutes, check in with either Pandora or Stephen and
we'll figure something out!
at 8:00 pm we begin (or thereabouts) and folks who
signed up are called up to share. around 9:00 the
featured artist for the evening takes the stage for
20-30 minutes. afterwards, we continue with the
open-mic list.
if you have questions or have a lot to set-up, please
contact us:
pandora (host) at pandorascooter at aol.com
stephen (host) at outoftheboxinfo at optonline.net

2. YOUTH GROUP - Sept 17
The Pride Center's Youth-Drop In meets from 1 to 4
p.m. on the second, third and fourth Saturday of the
month. If you're 17 and under and looking to meet
other GLBTIQ youths, give us a try. We talk about
what's happening at your school, play games, watch
movies, plan socials, eat snack food, veggies and
fruit -- and just hang out. It's fun. Have questions?
Call the Pride Center and leave a message. Someone
will get back to you.

3. CAPITAL RAINBOWFEST - Sept 18
Capital Rainbowfest IV, New Jersey's Classic Fall
Pride Event, returns to Trenton's Mill Hill Park, at
the corner of S. Broad and E. Front Sts., for the
fourth year this September 18 from noon until 6 p.m.
Vendors, exhibitors, food, fun and displays of
interest to the gay, lesbian, transgendered, bisexual
and intersexed (GLTBI) communities of New Jersey and
eastern Pennsylvania will again fill the park with
festive cheer, while new attractions offer added
appeal to both the first-time and returning visitors.
The festival is open to all; the $5 suggested donation
supports the ongoing work of Capital Rainbowfest.
Please visit www.capitalrainbowfest.org to learn how
you can support this 501(c)(3)-registered
organization.
Trenton's first-ever GLTBI Pride Parade is the
centerpiece of this year's celebration, according the
Capital Rainbowfest's Vice President David Nixon. He
promises the march, to include a women's motorcycle
brigade, female impersonators, and many of the state's
GLTBI support and political groups, will be
"absolutely fabulous."
Then, as MC of the afternoon's entertainment, he will
appear as Ms. Dhyana Nixon, introducing scheduled and
special guests while offering her own unique
interpretations of classic Motown, soul and disco
hits.
The entertainment begins promptly at noon. Scheduled
to appear are:

>From noon util 1 p.m., it's The New Jersey Gay Men's

Chorus (www.njgmc.org) and LADYJAM (aka the Rev.
LaDana Clark)
At 1 p.m., it's Pandora Scooter
(www.pandorascooter.com)
At 2 p.m., it's Fagapalooza! (www.fagapalooza.com),
featuring:
Kris Landherr (www.krislandherr.com)
Rubberlegs (www.rubberlegs.com)
Yolanda (www.yolanda.net)
and *V*I*R*G*O* (www.intraxis.com/virgo/.)
At 4 p.m., New Jersey's own Josh Zuckerman
(www.joshzuckerman.com), just back from a whirlwind
tour of Japan, will take the stage with his band for a
full 45-minute set. If you only got a taste of Josh at
Jersey Pride in Asbury Park, come to Capital
Rainbowfest for a bigger, more satisfying portion of
this up-and-comer's powerful pop music.
At 5 p.m., it's Virago(www.viragomusic.com)
PLUS: The CAPITAL RAINBOWFEST IV AFTERPARTY starts at
2 p.m. at BUDDIES PUB, 677 S. BROAD ST., TRENTON and
runs until closing at 2 a.m. Enjoy complimentary food,
faaabulous cocktails, and dancing until (almost) dawn!
And it's all in Trenton, on what has always been a
beautiful Sunday afternoon in autumn. There's grass,
shade, room to sit, short lines and plenty of parking.
For directions, please visit
www.capitalrainbowfest.org.
For more information, please contact
capitalr at capitalrainbowfest.org, or send mail to CRI,
PO Box 299, Trenton, NJ 08608

4. Pride Center Game Nights - Sept 20
Looking for a fun way to meet people in a social
atmosphere? Like to play board games? Come to the
Pride Center Game Night! We play party games, word
games, strategy games... bring your favorite, or
learn to play a new game from our large collection!
All are welcome!
Game Nights are held on the third Tuesday of each
month at the Pride Center in New Brunswick, NJ. We
start around 7:30pm and wrap up around 9:30pm.
For more information, contact Bill at
otterzero at yahoo.com, visit the Pride Center website
(http://www.pridecenter.org/index.shtml), or call
the Center, at (732)846-2232.
We hope to see you there!

5. "A Position of Strength"
Financial Planning for domestic and same-sex partners.
FREE SEMINAR