[Slowhand] Re:Robert (Bobby) Johnson's Smoking Habits.

Daniel Kimball texasbluboy at houston.rr.com
Sun Nov 23 17:34:47 EST 2003

All of you guys are wrong about Roberts smoking. He used the Lucky
Strikes for photo ops, but, when he was out on his own, he rolled his
own fags.  Used Prince Albert's Fine Tobacco in a can, and E-Z Wider
1&1/2 papers for rolling. As far as lighting them, he didn't use a
cigarette lighter or matches although he did carry a box of Strike
Anywhere Matches in case of an emergency when he couldn't get a light
anywhere.  The reason he didn't use a lighter or let on that he had any
matches is that was his opening line to hit on a woman when he got to a
town.

He would say, "Hey, there pretty mama, yo', got me a light for my
P.A.'s?"
To which she would reply, "Honey, I got sumptin', sumptin' to set a fire
but, it sho' tain't no cigarette dat' it's gonna' light! Honey Child o'
Mine!"
Next thang ya' know he got a place to stay whilst he be in town, and
dat's dat.  Dat was de way dat it be back den.  I know, cause in another
life I used to be de man dat always kept Robert up to date on de train
dat we be's gonna' ride to de next gig!

So, I tell you no lies here, and that's the way that it really was.  I
had to swear to it,  so don't y'all go and make no liar out of me.  I
had to go down to the crossroad at midnight to git dis cheer story,
cause I don't remember too good any mo' lately/

Sincererly,
Daniel"TexasBluBoy"Kimball
1886-1941 and 1954-????  I hope it be a long time dis time.