[Slowhand] NBTB

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Sat Nov 29 12:38:03 EST 2003

>> I am still trying to figure out what happened to the Nothing But The
Blues video. <<

Ken,

We've discussed this ad nauseum. Anything else is speculation.

Bottom Line: The live "Nothing But The Blues" was never released officially,
but it seems a few review copies got out, and I think the bootlegs (both
video and CD) stem either from these, or from recordings of the PBS TV show.
Maybe it'll come out in the future, but I wouldn't hold my breath, maybe
long after Clapton's retired.

But, sadly, I also think that EC wants to release just lazy versions of
"Wonderful Tonight" and "Lay Down Sally." Anything on which he plays more
than barely adequate guitar is pretty much not to his liking nowadays. He
does NOT want to be noticed as a guitar player any more. He just doesn't do
the things he used to do, such as apply vibrato to a bent note. He'll apply
vibrato, and he'll bend notes, but almost never does them together any more.
He used to do this all the time in his younger days, one of the sweeter
things that he used to do.

And if he plays some great guitar, it seems that he wants to make sure that
it will not appear on any official recording. Some would call this modesty,
others have more choice words.

                DeltaNick