[Slowhand] Does our Eric even try?

a linden roante04 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 02:17:14 EST 2003

DeltaNick,

Thanks for your long reply and passionate opinions..
I think our approaches to music are quite different. I
listen to music as whole, not as a guitar solo or a
show-off. I think the whole concept of guitar-god died
in 1970 when Jimi Hendrix died and EC and Peter Green
retired. The guitarplayers, who came after that,
aren't in the same class. That era is gone and that's
good.

I don’t read guitarist magazines anymore as they
usually feature technically very skilled but soulless
musicians, whose “music” is usually very selfish and
doesn’t offer much as a musical performance. I feel
sports and art are different things and these useless
whose-fastest 20-minute guitar solos belong to my
youth in 1960’s.
If somebody thinks in a guitar magazines, that Clapton
sucks, what does that prove? Hundreds of thousands
still go his concerts and come away in awe of his
musical genius.
“Clapton isn’t featured on guitarist-magazines
anymore”,  ooh
..so what, who cares.  I don’t like the
musical world these magazines represent, only skill no
soul.

Clapton made a very wise move when he retired from the
naive "guitar god" scene. He knew, that "the best
guitarist in the world – There’s one in every crowd".
It’s the music and it’s beauty, the feelings you get,
that matters. It’s great, that mr. Clapton still
performs and proves, that he’s one of the best and
most moving performers ever.

I’m sure people will enjoy his concerts this spring
and summer, even if didn’t bend notes and apply
vibrato at the same time or plays Lay Down Sally,
maybe he has something else to offer... music and
feelings.

Cheers
Ande (the fan with blind faith, who hasn't the ability
to think for himself)

P.S. Come Back Baby (Reptile), My Father’s Eyes and
River of Tears (OMC OMR) are nice examples of  guitar
playing, that “everybody” knows” and they are amazing,
too.
And yes, Concert for George is a great DVD!!!