[Slowhand] Re: Slowhand Digest, Vol 1, Issue 63

Michael Prehn M.Prehn at t-online.de
Wed Dec 3 03:55:00 EST 2003

> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 05:57:41 -0500
> From: "DeltaNick" <deltanick at comcast.net>
> Subject: [Slowhand] Re: NBTB
> To: "Slowhand Digest" <slowhand at planet-torque.com>
>
> > I think DeltaNick isn't right, when he said: <
>
> >> "But, sadly, I also think that EC wants to release just lazy versions of
> "Wonderful Tonight" and "Lay Down Sally." Anything on which he plays more
> than barely adequate guitar is pretty much not to his liking nowadays. He
> does NOT want to be noticed as a guitar player any more." <<
>
> > I think, that Clapton has released lots of beautiful guitar playing IF WE
> LOOK BACK SOME YEARS: <
>
> Exactly my point, "IF WE LOOK BACK SOME YEARS."
>
>                 DeltaNick
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:54:51 +0000 (GMT)
> From: a linden <roante04 at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: [Slowhand] Re re NBTB
> To: slowhand at planet-torque.com
>
> Hello all and dear DeltaNick,
> I think that's a pretty cheap way of replying, but who
> cares, that's your way.
> I feel Clapton has played better than ever during the
> last then years and that includes the tour
> 2001(especially the start). I didn't hear Lay Down
> Sally live during the last decade.
>
> Cheers
> Ande

I think that DeltaNick is absolutely right! I don't know what happend since the year 2000 but since then Erics playing has dramatically changed. He is not on fire anymore. And if I compare his actual sound with that of the time from 1997 to 1999 I have to laugh if I remeber Lee Dickson saying, that Eric gets his distortion only with his midboost installed in his guitar. I know you can tell those tales to beginners but not to me. Listen to the concert of George: Eric dials in his midboost and what comes out: A muffeld not very distorted boring sound. So what has he done really to get that great NBTB Tour-sound and why has he stoped using it? By the way: His singing is on fire to my ears. All we need now is his "on fire" guitar to come back.

Mike