[Slowhand] Tokyo - Seattle Clapton Fan

Green g.reen at gte.net
Wed Dec 3 13:48:28 EST 2003

I always love when the Clapton now vs. then debate, makes it's yearly
appearance. It always seem to make some posters blood boil and becomes
somewhat of a generational argument

IMHO Clapton's best music ended in the early 70's when Eric moved from
psychedelics to hard drugs.
I feel much of the quality extended jams from Cream were LSD related. Once
Eric returned in the mid 70's his playing style had changed, never to be
seen again.

In the last 30 years I think Eric has basically created only a few songs
worth reflecting on when put in a career perspective. His guitar playing and
creative style were in top form on, "Holy Mother" from August, "Old Love"
from the Journeyman, and his best playing in decades "Every Day I Have The
Blues", from the Hyde Park concert.

Obviously Eric getting older everyday, being Really married, having and
actually Raising children, kicking the drinking and "I think" the smoking
habits, all in the same 3-4 years can certainly change your way of looking
at things.  Eric has most likely never been more at peace with himself as he
is now. There is no one to impress, he plays what he feels comfortable with.
He doesn't seem to want to be challenged musically any longer.

His career has survived longer than anyone would have thought, when you
consider what he has been through in the last 40 years. Other than the
Stones there is no one who has stayed in the lime light any longer at a
consistent level than Clapton. He continues to try new things, not always
what his fans want to see, but you got to consider yourself lucky that you
chose to closely follow a 60's comet who made it through some hard times and
still enjoys his life and love to perform on a regular basis. Remember he is
the only 3 time Rock and Roll Hall of Famer.

Consider yourself lucky we still have him around and enjoy!

Best

Don Green