[Slowhand] Clapton's minimum effort

Apurva Parikh apuraja8 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 3 12:14:51 EST 2003

This is a very good thread, one that crops up from time to time.
I fall in line very much with the Clapton fans who think he's coasting right
now, has different priorities and puts in MINIMAL EFFORT. Those are the
operative words.. I have some things to back up my assertions...

1. Clapton announced a couple of years back he was retiriing from big scale
touring.. Lookee now, he's touring Japan and soon to tour Europe in a MAJOR
way. WHY? Is he plugging new material? No.. And what have we heard from this
supposed new album? Nothing really, and what news comes out is that he's
collaborating with the likes of Sting, Bruce Hornsby, and Doyle Bramhall
II.. Hardly sounds like the rock/blues album EC promised in a Guitarist
magazine interview..
So this leads me to believe, our chap EC is perfectly ok with being a doting
dad, touring Japan and Europe for the allmight pay day, and releasing adult
contemporary type albums trying to copy people like Santana who had chart
sucess by doing collaborations..

Simply put, EC likes being a sideman, doesn't like the pressure of having
the deliver guitar solos, which leads me to.. .

2. The Mayall and COncert for george releases.. While the George DVD is a
tribute, I cannot fault Eric for not taking chances, but it's a musically ok
document. The Mayall CD shows our points exactly... EVEN when playing old
blues classics, he sounds nothing like HIMSELF.. Eric has always played the
deferential role well, defering to other musicians, blending in, (since the
1970's) and not rising above the schlock.. I was sooo excited about this
release, but heard Eric's So-So playing and was put off.

3. Even his live shows, have been well scripted and documented since 1995
NBTB tours.. I sometimes even pull out my pilgrim shows and compared to
reptile tour those are quite spontaneous..

I dont know what it is, EC is approaching 60, is married, music is not the
ends to a means it used to be, he doesn't get off by playing fiery solos, he
gets off my going through the motions, collecting paychecks.. It's his
right, I will always be a fan, but doesn't mean I have to like it....