[Slowhand] Do Our Expectations Drive Our Perception.......................

ToeKneeF slowhandnj at comcast.net
Fri Dec 5 12:28:10 EST 2003

.............to the point where we may unfairly judge Eric's performance?

First, I have to commend Mel Boss on his well thought out reply to the
"Eric is Lazy" thread. If the question is, "Have I gotten my moneys
worth?", then the answer has to be an unqualified YES! Over the years,
60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and now into the 21st Century, his music always
intrigues and fascinates. That is not to say that I haven't been
disappointed, because, at times, I have been. I have higher expectations
of him than some of his output suggests he is capable of delivering.
But, maybe my expectations are too high. Is it really fair to expect him
to maintain the level of intensity we saw in the 60's without burning out?

Case in point, I was watching the Concert for George DVD when my 22 year
old son came into the room. He looked at the set list on the box and saw
that they had just performed "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". This is one
of our favorites, so he asked if Eric wailed on guitar. My reply was
that it was OK, I felt EC was holding back. He then asked me to replay
that song and we watched it together. During the solo he shook his head
and smiled. He said that, that solo, coming from anyone else, would be
superb. Only Clapton could be accused of "phoning it in" while producing
something so beautiful. It really made me stop and think about how our
expectations drive our perceptions....................T

temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
Benjamin Franklin