[Slowhand] its about the music

Dave Dell ddell at socal.rr.com
Sun Dec 7 18:56:41 EST 2003

Just to weigh in on the recent discussion....not that we need another opinion, but here goes anyway.

Personally, I think Eric is just as fine a player now as he was back in the old days, and he frequently showcases guitar now, but that is not what he wants to do night after night, show after show, or recording after recording.  He's about the songs now, fitting his tasty guitar work around the melodies and harmonics of the song.  He has been on that course for a very long time now, starting with the Eric Clapton album, so it seems silly to me to be always looking back and wishing he'd play exactly like he did back then all the time.  Frankly, I think the EC of today would blow the EC yesteryear off the stage if he wanted to...his playing is so much more melodic, eloquent, and almost universally perfect in execution as compared to the young and often stoned EC.   He just isn't into playing notes for the sake of playing notes anymore and I, for one, am glad for that.  Yes, he played some outstanding stuff back in the old days but as a fan of some 30+ years I wouldv'e hated to miss out on all the different paths Eric has taken us over the years.  To me, his muscianship and guitar playing have varied and matured along the way and I'm very thankful for that.

Way to go Eric!  : )

Dave