[Slowhand] The ad nauseum thread....

Richard Batty rtcb at comcast.net
Mon Dec 8 12:16:53 EST 2003

What it all comes down to is what we like personally.  The Bluesbreakers
album was my entry into EC and Cream’s “Crossroads” is still probably my
favorite song of all time.  However, I listen to the 1996 Hyde Park concert
A LOT. The playing in “Five Long Years”, “Old Love” and even the acoustic
“Layla” impart as much feeling to me as “Crossroads” did in he ‘60s.

I also love things like the interplay with Albert Lee on 1983’s “The Shape
You’re In” or the cascading solos in the Montserrat “Same Old Blues” and the
24 Nights “Running On Faith” or the amazing solo in the RAH 24 Jan 1990
“Cocaine”.  In fact, I really like the version of “Lay Down Sally” from that
show too.  I play Pilgrim, Reptile and TDF often.  The Legends shows as
well.  The “Communion” soundtrack is probably the most haunting piece of
music I have ever heard.  The solo on Richie Sambora’s “Mr. Bluesman” is a
favorite.  And, yes, I sometimes feel the urge to pull out “I’m So Glad”
from Goodbye Cream.

To me, the feeling that EC conveys in his music comes through in many styles
and I’m very, very thankful for all the variations.  I’m sorry some of you
find much of his music so disappointing.