[Slowhand] Clapton quotes

Dennis Merson mersondennis at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 9 07:21:39 EST 2003

It can sometimes be incorrect to place quotes out of it's original context.
Take the above quote:
“Yes, I think I sold myself a long time ago. I made some kind of deal with
myself to get along, to please people, just to make life easy, I think. It
disturbs me a little to hear myself say that but I have to admit it because
otherwise who am I kidding?” (Eric Clapton, as quoted in David Hepworth,
“Eric,” "Q," January 1987, p. 43). My recollection tells me that EC said
this as a comment on how and why ha ended up in the music bizz as a whole,
and not a respond to why he'd gone pop/soft. There's a big difference there.
But excuse me if I'm wrong.

I would like to quote our man from his conversation with Larry King on CNN
in 1998:

LK: How long will Eric work?
EC: I don't know if I got that kind of capacity (in reference to B.B.King).
I honestly don't, I mean..'

LK: Do you still play as good guitar?
EC: Well, if I didn't feel I was improving I would definitely quit.

LK: Improve??
EC: I think that's an axiom that I would have to hold for myself

LK: Not as good, better?
EC: Not even as good. I need to know that I'm actually getting a little bit
better all the time. And what proves that for me is to go see someone like
B.B., because I know that it can be done.

LK: How about singing?
EC: Singing too, same thing.

It is also interesting to see what Eric told Dave Mead of "Guitarist"
magazine in 1994:
"I don't think my facility as a player has really got much better or worse.
I mean, I've just finished doing a blues tune (...) and it doesn't sound
that much stiffer or that much faster than when I was doing John Mayall or
Cream - a bit more fluent, a bit more confident maybe"

Eric is known as his own worst critic, and stating things like "my standards
asr just too high for myself". He can sometimes be way too harsh on himself.
But I certainly don't believe he would've done as much touring as he's done
(and doing) if he wasn't comfortable with his own playing, and didn't feel
able to reach a level that could stand for itself when compared to previous
playing. I found Delatnicks "quote"-post thoughful and considerate. But I
think one can digg up a lot of quotes that will paint a pretty negative
picture, but in the next moment you'll find interviews that make it all look
different.

Have a nice day,
Dennis M