[Slowhand] SW5 Quotes

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Mon Dec 22 10:15:03 EST 2003

Below are some quotes from the Mick Taylor newsletter, sw5 (#1412). It's
interesting to see how others -- non-subscribers to the Slowhand Digest --
view EC. These are not MY quotes, but from a couple of other folks.

>> I also like the way Mayall did the "mini-sets with Mick and with EC To
run
through some of the Bluesbreaker past of each of these men. It's a shame EC
was not playing a Les Paul; for him to re-do those songs from the 'Beano'
album with a thin-sounding Strat just made his performance suffer by
comparison with that album." <<

>> boy, I couldn't agree more ... what an insight to EC's current status --
the
same way the young brits were so ripe to impress the blues gods who came to
the UK in the 60s, EC is now that elder statesman, his chops are stock, raw
and predictable ... I couldn't help thinking during "Have You Heard" when
Buddy put forth the best solo of the night that that's how EC played in his
prime -- on fire, inspired and to the core ... EC was the best singer on
stage
(awesome "hoochie coochie man") and biggest name, but the third best
guitarist.  check it out....I still like EC, a walking encyclopedia of
bluesriffs, a great singer/songwriter, but he's no Mick Taylor on the
fretboard -- he hasn't taken any real chances during solos in years -- his
sound was way too thin until he kicked in his pre-amp on his signature
strats. <<

                DeltaNick