[Slowhand] EC with Mayall

a linden roante04 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 23 03:26:34 EST 2003

Hi all,
Thanks to DeltaNick for forwarding those "Clapton
Bashing Messages" ;*) from some other digest.
I think these messages are important as they show
clearly, why it's good, that we here on Slowhand
Digest give our support to EC.

He has long ago stepped out of this naive best
guitarist competition and on this nice John Mayall DVD
proves, that he's got the understanding of the
character of this occasion.
This was an evening to celebrate John Mayall's 70
years, not a Clapton concert and Eric gives his former
leader the limelight.
Here's also a good chance to see why this kind of
blues seems a bit outdated. I certainly thought it was
a thing of the past (in my case some 35 years ago I
use to do that) to wait for the guitarsolos, but music
here was pretty stagnant otherwise.
I don't want offend anyone, but here's my modest
opinion on those other guitarists: Mick Taylor is
great and very stylish in his own way, but then again
Buddy Whittington does nothing for me: His playing
seems to be full of gimmicks and tricks just to put on
a show, no relation to the songs. I don't like that
kind of attitude to music.

I think Clapton performed very gracefully and
thoughtfully on this historic concert. Here he was a
part of the Bluesbreakers, but still the attitude (and
choice of guitar) showed, that he'd moved on long ago.
Clapton deserves all the praise for his unbelievably
long and succeesful career and especially his
beautiful music, that has in so many ways touched our
hearts and during the last 40 years.

Cheers and a Happy Christmas to all (EC and his family
included)

Ande