[Slowhand] Re: EC With Mayall

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Tue Dec 23 10:50:40 EST 2003

Ande,

You're SO funny and talented ...

>> we here on Slowhand Digest give our support to EC. <<

Is Clapton running for election? Should we march down the street behind you,
carrying an Eric Clapton flag, singing "Lay Down Sally"? I thought the
purpose of the Slowhand Digest was to discuss EC's music.

>> this kind of blues seems a bit outdated. I certainly thought it was a
thing of the past (in my case some 35 years ago I use to do that) to wait
for the guitarsolos, but music here was pretty stagnant otherwise. <<

So, the truth comes out: blues is "outdated." I guess only "progressive"
rock is to your liking. What's curious here is that no matter how much
"progressive" rock Clapton plays, he ALWAYS returns to the blues, which
seems to bore you. If you can't appreciate the blues, then how much of
Clapton can you really understand?

Outdated? I really don't think Clapton feels that way. Do you really mean
that people who like the blues are all stuck in the past? Nice try.

In general, I think the Mayall "70th Birthday Concert" was a lively and fun
show. Using your standards, however, "From The Cradle" must have been about
as much fun as watching paint dry.

>> Buddy Whittington does nothing for me: His playing seems to be full of
gimmicks and tricks just to put on a show, no relation to the songs. I don't
like that kind of attitude to music. <<

Buddy Whittington is an exceedingly capable guitarist who has a "heavy metal
shredder" style of playing, and that's too bad. This part turns me off as
well. Yes, I agree with the "gimmicks" part, but I do think his playing
relates to the songs. But we're in general agreement on this one.

>> Clapton deserves all the praise for his unbelievably long and successful
career <<

Again, maybe we should shower him with gifts instead, or bow down and kiss
his feet, or the ring on his hand. Clapton has had more than enough of our
praise when we shelled out our bucks, pounds, and deutschemarks for
"Wonderful Tonight" and "Willie And The Hand Jive." Speaking of living in
the past and stagnant ...

Longevity? Barry Manilow, Barbra Streisand, and Kenny G have longevity:
should we praise them? Where's the beef? Show me the money! Let's not forget
that this is show business. I am not about to praise ANYONE just for being
in show business for a long time.

Instead of "praising" him, I would prefer to listen to his passionate
talents, when he comes off auto-pilot long enough to show them. People speak
about Clapton's upcoming retirement. However, some would argue that he
retired years ago.

                DeltaNick