[Slowhand] Autopiloting through the Burps

a linden roante04 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 24 18:00:00 EST 2003

Hi all,

I think there's some kind of cultural difference
beween people who love the latter day Clapton (the
last 33 years) and those who would like him to be more
like the myth from the sixties.

I'm sure, that for many (or maybe most) Clapton fans
of the latter days, the Cream or Derek & Dominos
bootlegs sound quite unlistenable. And then of course
there's lots of longtime followers, who are
disappointed as Eric doesn't find nowadays the guitar
solo as THE goal of his music.

I like these both sides of Clapton's career and maybe
the humanity and honesty of Clapton is why I've stayed
with his music for some 37 years.

I don't want him to be the young guy from the Cream,
I'm sure he knows best, why that band or that kind of
music didn't exist any longer. I don't want him to try
to emulate his playing from Beano (although I love the
playing), I'm sure Eric knows how those solos were
played.

It's been fascinating to grow older with EC and his
music, there's lots of stuff I don't listen from him,
but I'm in no position to criticize him for those
songs as most of his stuff has been great and in no
way I'm waiting  for mr. Clapton to be perfect.

I feel, that the last 13 years have been easily the
best of his career and the economic way he plays
guitar currently is an natural evolment and sounds to
me great, much more natural than the guitar heroics of
the past.

And then there's always the Burp -album, that's coming
out, I'm sure it will be earshattering.

Christmas to all
Ande
(the original -only blind faith and burp - fan)