[Slowhand] Jack O The Green

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Mon Dec 29 00:20:44 EST 2003

Here's an album that's not readily available outside of the UK or Europe. EC
is featured playing guitar (not bad) on two tracks, backing Solomon Burke.
Burke was an R&B artist before Motown and Stax, when R&B was earthier and
rocked. Some folks called him "The King of Soul," before "soul" became an
overused and meaningless term after the overproduced, wind-up Motown (miss a
dance step and you get fined) assembly line went into operation in the
mid-1960s. A couple of other "interesting" artists are featured as well:
Buddy Guy, Smokey Robinson, and Ringo Starr. Although Michael Jackson does
not make an appearance, Ron Wood does. However, you can always skip track
19.

Jools Holland & His Rhythm & Blues Orchestra, “Jack O The Green: Small World
Big Band Friends 3" (Radar, Warner Music UK Ltd., distributed in the UK by
The Entertainment Network [RADAR001CD], 17 November 2003, UK)
 1. She Suits Me To A Tee (Buddy Guy) - Buddy Guy.
 2. Misfit (Holland) - Terri Walker.
 3. You Really Got A Hold On Me (William Robinson, Jr.) - Smokey Robinson.
 4. I Think It's Going To Rain Today (Randy Newman) - David Gray.
 5. Message To My Son (Holland/Burke/Clapton) - Solomon Burke & Eric
Clapton.
 6. Just To Be Home With You (Holland) - Shane McGowan.
 7. Play It Sam (Earle /Holland) - Steve Earle.
 8. Kiss Of Love (Holland/Brown) - Nick Cave & Sam Brown.
 9. I Told The Truth (Holland/Brown) - Paul Rodgers.
 10. Please Can I Talk (J. Holland/C. Holland/R. Holland) - Sugababes.
 11. Boys (Luther Dixon/Wes Farrell) - Ringo Starr.
 12. When I Get Home (Holland /Turner/Difford) - Ruby Turner.
 13. Enjoy Yourself (It’s Later Than You Think) (Carl Sigman/Herbert
Magidson) - Prince Buster.
 14. Sweet If You Like (Music by Jools Holland; poem by Francis Davison) -
Eliza Carthy.
 15. Cry Myself To Sleep (Holland/McDonald) - Michael McDonald Featuring
Candy Dulfer.
 16. Shutting The Doors (Kirsty MacColl/Alan Lee Shaw) - Kirsty MacColl.
 17. Washing Of The Water (Peter Gabriel) - Peter Gabriel.
 18. Jack O The Green (Holland/Suggs) - Suggs.
 19. Ooh La La (Wood/Lane) - Ronnie Wood.
 20. Mabel (Holland/Burke/Clapton) - Solomon Burke & Eric Clapton.
 21. I'll Be Seeing You (Sammy Fain/Irvin Kahal) - Jimmy Scott.

It's a pretty good album, and better, I think, than the first Jools Holland,
"Small World Big Band," which also featured EC (but no Ron Wood). This one
has lots of good recordings and performances. I don't go much for "big"
bands, but Jools Holland does it about right. And he's a good pianist.

Sample a few of the albums tracks:
http://www.joolsholland.com/smallworld3.htm. And you can read Jools
Holland's notes: http://www.joolsholland.com/smallworld3notes.htm.

For those outside of the UK interested, it can be ordered from
www.amazon.co.uk.

                DeltaNick