[Slowhand] Guitar auction preview

Sol Fischler solron at optonline.net
Thu Jun 24 09:38:45 EDT 2004

On CNBC yesterday they had a piece on tonight's guitar auction,  and anchor
Bill Griffeth was talking to,  I guess,  the curator.

He did a nice little background explanation of 3 guitars -- Blackie,  the
"Unplugged" guitar,  and the red '64 Gibson (?) that EC used in the
Yardbirds and Cream.  (According to the curator -- I don't know if that's
right or not... )

Anyway,  at one point Griffeth acknowleges that the curator is a guitar
player himself,  and asks if he would play something on one of them.  And of
course my gut screams NO NO NO DON'T put your hands on those strings.

But it's TV,  and the guy picks up the acoustic and starts picking some
simple generic chords as he goes on about the auction.

I don't know about you guys -- but if I'm about to place a bid on the
Porsche Jimmy Dean drove in "Rebel Without A Cause",  I don't want the
curator getting his rocks off by taking it for a couple of laps first...

And of course,  after the interview they cut to the next anchor sitting at
the news desk,  who gushes and thanks the curator for playing such good
music for them.

Me -- I'm hoping it's that guy's last day at Christies...