[Slowhand] Concerts'nCrowds

Mel Boss darmel at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 24 15:34:09 EDT 2004

Here's my opinion for what it's worth: Personally, I long for the days when concert goers passed makeshift bongs and pipes fashioned of aluminum foil up'n down the aisles. Booze and beers brings out the worst in many people - loud, obstinate, quarrelsome, aggression... I (sort of) recall a concert in Peoria, Illinois, 1970 (or perhaps 71) featuring Fleetwood Mac and a band called McKendrie Spring (fabulous electric violin!) where the air was so thick with the scent of burning "ditch weed" that the bands hardly needed smoke generators, and the constabulary just sat back and watched at a distance. Everybody was "camped out" on the floor of the auditorium on blankets. The only alcohol was was cheap red wine. Nothing resembling aggression happened that night. I recall it all (or at least most of it) fondly thirty-some years later... Now, I don't advocate pot (I had to say that or Darlene would kick my bony butt), and I don't drink beers at concerts because I like "good" beer, and the
 crap that is sold is neither good nor affordable (for the price of 3 crappy concert beers, I can buy a case of Sierra Nevada). For the venue, it's all about the money from beers sales, and I wouldn't bitch if alcohol was NOT sold at concerts. When I want to drink beers and get stupid, I invite over frieinds, and we go out on the gazebo, but when I'm paying $100 a pop to hear my favorite band, I want to HEAR my favorite band. Dammit!
Mel